Skip to main content

TKAM Review

        


                                                                   TKAM REVIEW- Swapnil

        A while ago I did a review on The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas. Considering that I really liked the book I looked for other books around the same kind of topic. While searching on google I found a book that I heard quite a lot of people talking about, To Kill A Mockingbird. To be honest when I heard the book title I thought it was about the Hunger Games because it had a bird on the title page. When I looked more deeply into a preview I realized that it was definitely not about the Hunger Games and that it seemed quite interesting so I picked it up and started to read it. Here’s a brief summary and a review on TKAM. 

In TKAM by Harper Lee there are a few main characters that we need to introduce first, Scout, Atticus, Jem, and Boo. The story takes place around the 1920s-1930s era in the Southern United States. Scout Finch's story is told through the eyes of her father, Atticus Finch, an attorney who works tirelessly to prove the innocence of a black man wrongfully accused of rape; and Boo Radley, a mysterious neighbor who rescues Scout and her brother Jem from being slain. Scout is forced to question her convictions in the novel due to a number of events, the most significant of which is Tom's conviction despite his obvious innocence. Scout confronts her biases when she meets Boo Radley, a mysterious shut-in who Scout initially mistook for a terrifying ghost-like entity. 

I feel like this book was very good to say it simply. I usually like quick plot books and this book on the other hand was very slow paced. The first 8 chapters didn’t really have any correlation to the actual book which was pretty weird to me as a reader. But after those few chapters I think the book really started to take off. I felt as if the book was the older version of The Hate U Give and I thought it was very “eye opening”. Not only was it a good detailed book but it also was structured in a way that you could basically feel what Scout (the narrator of the book) was actually feeling and going through the entire time. Even though I couldn’t relate to any of the things happening I learned a lot of things with this book. I strongly recommend you to check this book out or even watch the movie that is about this book and overall I would give it a 4.5/5. 


Comments

  1. I read this book in 7th grade, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Despite the slower pace, the book was still very interesting, and surprisingly, I did not get bored of it. It was a really eye-opening book that will always remain a classic. I never really made the connection between TKAM and The Hate You Give. Good blog Swapnil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you reviewed another eye-opening book, kind of like what "The Hate U Give" was. I'm very impressed that you managed to finish the book despite the slower pace; I'm the type of person to get bored really easily so I don't know if I could have persisted. I think we are definitely in a time where we have to learn and sympathize with people who go through different experiences from us, and TKAM sounds like it does a great job as a classic to take on various current topics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Swapnil. I like how you structure this post. Introducing the characters to us while giving background information and context before explaining your thoughts was pretty expert of you. Unfortunately, these slow-paced type of books aren't my style, but I did find your review of the book quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lola and the Boy Next Door

            “Wow!” I said to myself after reading this book, “that was terrible”. This book was Lola and the Boy Next Door , and it took a real effort to finish the book. More than 90% of this book was about a forbidden teenage romance, and I hate romance novels.             The book starts off fast when Lola’s first crush, Cricket, moves back to San Francisco. He moved away to support his twin’s, Calliope, figure skating career. Calliope is an incredible figure skater, even making the US Olympic team later. Anyways, when Cricket moves back to town, Lola is conflicted by her feelings for him. On the one hand, she hates him because when she confessed her crush for him when she was younger, he rejected her. However, Lola is still in love with him even after he rejected her. Life becomes even more complicated because Lola’s boyfriend, Max, is not happy with Lola hanging out with Cricket. Max is Lola...

Warcross

              Marie Lu is an amazing writer, and she demonstrates that in her novel, Warcross . Warcross is about a poor 18-year-old, Emika Chen, living on the streets of New York. Much of her income comes from hunting down players in the Neuro Link. The Neuro Link is a way to play Warcross by creating a virtual reality. Warcross is a mix between Overwatch and League of Legends. Anyways, she is essentially a virtual bounty hunter with an incredible ability to hack through and understand the code of Warcross. However, desperate for money, she exploits into a Warcross match to try and steal a valuable powerup, a buff, that can be sold money; however, her coding backfires and she spawns into the game. Because of the attention that this brought Emika, the founder of the Neuro Link, Hideo Tanaka, decides to hire Emika because of her ability to hack. Hideo decides to have Emika go undercover and find information on Zero, a noto...

Neverseen Review

Neverseen is the third book in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series written by the author Shannon Messenger. In this book, we see Sophie Foster, the main character of this series as well as the narrator, face many perils and journeys and see her overcome a lot of dangerous missions. To recap, Sophie is an elf and lives in the world where all elves live, the Lost Cities. In this book, Sophie finds some very appalling secrets that could lead to her and her friends being in danger. With these secrets, she also faces perilous enemies that she still needs to find out more about.  As the third book begins, we see Sophie getting stronger and stronger and her also getting a firm grasp over her powers. She also is getting annoyed the Black Swan, a group filled with skilled elves, dwarves, and other creatures that work together to improve the world secretly, are ignoring Sophie and her calls for aid. Instead of waiting for the Black Swan to come to her Sophie and her friend look out to s...