Skip to main content

When Breath Becomes Air

Plot: When Breath Becomes Air is a non-fiction novel written by Paul Kalanithi. For context, Paul is at the end of his neurosurgery residency. He has been pursuing the medical field for almost 11 years, when he is diagnosed with lung cancer. This novel explores his journey into the neurosurgery field and why he decided to study the brain. In the Part I of When Breath Becomes Air, Paul revisits his childhood and reflects on his career in college and med school. When he was growing up, he desperately wanted to be a writer; however, his desire changed, and he decided to go into medicine. This part continues to explore his experiences in college, in a scientific laboratory, and in residency. In Part II, Paul revisits the scene where he discovers that he has lung cancer; however, shortly after this, the doctors realize the cancer is treatable because of a small mutation in the cancerous cells. Paul began to regain hope because of the doctors’ discovery. After chemotherapy, Paul’s doctors conduct a CT scan and noticed that almost all of his cancerous tumors were gone. Paul returns to a normal life; however, seven months later he completes another CT scan, and the tumors are back. At this point Paul knows that he is unlikely to recover, and so when it comes time to say goodbye to his friends and family, he wishes not to be put on a ventilator.

 

Good Aspects:

This book takes a deep dive into the medical field, and it forces the reader think about their own mortality. I really enjoyed reading it because I am really into philosophy and medicine, and that is the focus of When Breath Becomes Air. I also find the background information about why Paul decided to pursue medicine to be incredibly interesting.

Bad Aspects:

At some points in When Breath Becomes Air, the writing style becomes a little bit unclear. In addition, this book is medical vocabulary and references, which makes it harder for people with minimal understanding of medicine, like me, to read.

Conclusion:

Overall, When Breath Becomes Air is a good book because it forces the reader to think critically about medicine and philosophy. I would recommend this book to anybody interested in medicine or non-fiction.


~ Ezra


Comments

  1. This looks like an incredibly gripping book and I would love to check it out. The fact that it is nonfiction makes it even more interesting for me, and I tend to enjoy books that show realism despite the ups and downs.

    Great Review

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really deep book with a lot of moral dilemmas. I really liked how you described both what you liked and disliked about this book, it was useful for me to analyze whether or not I wanted to read this book. It's disappointing this book contains a lot of medical jargon I wouldn't understand, I would want to read this book otherwise. Thanks, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really good book! I'm not typically a huge fan of non-fiction, but I think that this character's story sounds interesting. I also like how you noted the pros and cons of the book. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an interesting but sad book, with the unfortunate news of Paul's diagnosis of cancer. I also find it intriguing because of how you described it as delved deeply into the topics of medicine and philosophy, engaging the mind of the reader. I also liked how you organized and formatted your blog post; providing subcategories was very helpful in my experience as the reader. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds really deep. It provides some real details of somebodies life, and I can relate to hearing bad news. I really liked how you provided what is good and bad about your book, and while I'm not a big non fiction fan, I might read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ezra, I am very interested in non fiction and in the medical field. One important aspect of your blog is about how doctors are vulnerable to diseases despite the great knowledge of how to avoid and treat it. What is most interesting is the philosophy and the mindset of how vulnerable anyone is and how decision making comes with the knowledge of what's going on, instead of having an explanation from a third party.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neverseen Review

Neverseen is the third book in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series written by the author Shannon Messenger. In this book, we see Sophie Foster, the main character of this series as well as the narrator, face many perils and journeys and see her overcome a lot of dangerous missions. To recap, Sophie is an elf and lives in the world where all elves live, the Lost Cities. In this book, Sophie finds some very appalling secrets that could lead to her and her friends being in danger. With these secrets, she also faces perilous enemies that she still needs to find out more about.  As the third book begins, we see Sophie getting stronger and stronger and her also getting a firm grasp over her powers. She also is getting annoyed the Black Swan, a group filled with skilled elves, dwarves, and other creatures that work together to improve the world secretly, are ignoring Sophie and her calls for aid. Instead of waiting for the Black Swan to come to her Sophie and her friend look out to s...

Lola and the Boy Next Door

            “Wow!” I said to myself after reading this book, “that was terrible”. This book was Lola and the Boy Next Door , and it took a real effort to finish the book. More than 90% of this book was about a forbidden teenage romance, and I hate romance novels.             The book starts off fast when Lola’s first crush, Cricket, moves back to San Francisco. He moved away to support his twin’s, Calliope, figure skating career. Calliope is an incredible figure skater, even making the US Olympic team later. Anyways, when Cricket moves back to town, Lola is conflicted by her feelings for him. On the one hand, she hates him because when she confessed her crush for him when she was younger, he rejected her. However, Lola is still in love with him even after he rejected her. Life becomes even more complicated because Lola’s boyfriend, Max, is not happy with Lola hanging out with Cricket. Max is Lola...

Warcross

              Marie Lu is an amazing writer, and she demonstrates that in her novel, Warcross . Warcross is about a poor 18-year-old, Emika Chen, living on the streets of New York. Much of her income comes from hunting down players in the Neuro Link. The Neuro Link is a way to play Warcross by creating a virtual reality. Warcross is a mix between Overwatch and League of Legends. Anyways, she is essentially a virtual bounty hunter with an incredible ability to hack through and understand the code of Warcross. However, desperate for money, she exploits into a Warcross match to try and steal a valuable powerup, a buff, that can be sold money; however, her coding backfires and she spawns into the game. Because of the attention that this brought Emika, the founder of the Neuro Link, Hideo Tanaka, decides to hire Emika because of her ability to hack. Hideo decides to have Emika go undercover and find information on Zero, a noto...