Skip to main content

New Percy Jackson Series!!

 


One of the first books/series that got me into serious reading was the Percy Jackson series. I started reading it in about 3rd-4th grade and it was one of the best books I have ever read. After I read the series I went on to watch the two movies and I can say without a doubt, that the movies were one of the most disappointing movies I have ever watched. They had almost no correlation to the books and there were only two movies. Which is why I was really excited to know that there is a new series apparently coming out on Disney plus. In honor of this series I wanted to give a quick recap and my review of the first book. 

The first book in the Percy Jackson series is called The Lightning Thief. It revolves around a “demigod” ( half human and half god) by the name of, obviously Percy Jackson. Percy starts off the story by introducing how much of a trouble maker he is, but readers can tell that Percy isn’t a bad kid, it's just that he finds himself losing it. He has some strange encounters with his teacher and this leads him to going to a special summer camp for people like him. This was called Camp Half-Blood, another name for demigod children. Percy thought he didn’t belong here because he never had any sort of power that he was aware of. It is later revealed that Percy is a son of Poseideon, one of the three powerful gods. Once he finds out, Chiron ( the camp leader) tells Percy that Zeus- Poseidon’s brother/rival- is blaming Percy for stealing his lightning bolt and that he is in serious danger. Percy, astounded by this news, is utterly confused but decides to go on a mission with fellow friend Grover, and a girl he just met in the camp Annabeth. 

This book is amazing. That’s all there is to it, it engages readers right from the beginning and never gets boring. The way that readers get the funny aspect in the story from Percy’s sense of humor but also a lot of suspense and thrill from the mission that Percy goes on is amazing. Personally, I think all of the books in this series are exactly like this, and the plot behind the stories never gets boring. I am trying not to have high expectations from the series that's about to come out because the movies are heavily disappointing, however I am really excited. The series will be on Disney Plus if anyone who is reading is interested. Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. This is a great book review and I enjoyed how you included why you wrote this - because there is a new movie series coming out that is based on these books. I have, of course, heard of Percy Jackson and have wanted to read it for a long time. One question I have is: were there any parts that you found a little slow or not as perfect as the rest of the story, because no book is perfect. Great job! -Claire Hobson

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nostalgic review! I honestly did not know a new series was coming out on Disney+ so I'm really excited. I also read this book many times (my mom as well), and it was probably one of the first fantasy books I've ever read. This, and many, if not all, of Rick Riordan's books incorporate many mythological elements, making you want to learn more about the gods and monsters depicted in his stories. Every time I meet a fan of the Percy Jackson series, they can often name off the 12 Olympians, their parents, and their grandparents! This is a really good series which I might just reread again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. for a split second when I saw the title I thought you meant there was a brand series coming out, either way, this review was nice to read, and reminded me of why I loved the percy jackson series so much when I first started it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job!
    I have read the Lightning Thief 2 times and both times I was always hooked. There are a lot of Rick Riordan posts on these blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review! I completely agree, the Percy Jackson series is one of the best I've read in my life. I liked how you summarized the plot without giving away too much of the plot. I do, however, have to disagree that all the books were amazing. There were some books where it felt like a filler book in the sense that the author wrote it to just add more to the backstories and never really progressed the main plot line. Despite this, I think you did an awesome job on your article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great book review! I used to love this series and totally agree that the movies did NOT do the books justice, so let's hope that this new show makes up for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I used to love the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus series when I was younger, so reading this blog brought back lots of great memories. Your critique of the two movies reminds me of the Chronicles of Narnia movies. That series also had movie spinoffs which were not nearly as good as the books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I used to love to read this book and its many sequels, this blog has reinspired me to go back and revisit those good memories! I think I might have to check out the new TV series too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice summary of the first Percy Jackson book! I also read this series in late elementary school and really enjoyed it. I totally agree with your assessment of the movies as well, and was incredibly disappointed when I watched them. When I first read the title of your post I thought you were going to be discussing a new Percy Jackson book series so I was confused at first, but a TV show about it sounds exciting! I hope you'll write a follow up blog post if you end up watching the series to compare to the books when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this book a while back and I completely agree with what you are saying here. Actually, this was one of the books that got me into reading too. I've never seen the movies, but it doesn't seem like it's worth to now. By the way you describe the new show, I might just give it a watch. By now, I have completely forgotten the plot to this book- but reading this post is great for me as it is a recap on all of the events in the first book. Great summary!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neverseen Review

Neverseen is the third book in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series written by the author Shannon Messenger. In this book, we see Sophie Foster, the main character of this series as well as the narrator, face many perils and journeys and see her overcome a lot of dangerous missions. To recap, Sophie is an elf and lives in the world where all elves live, the Lost Cities. In this book, Sophie finds some very appalling secrets that could lead to her and her friends being in danger. With these secrets, she also faces perilous enemies that she still needs to find out more about.  As the third book begins, we see Sophie getting stronger and stronger and her also getting a firm grasp over her powers. She also is getting annoyed the Black Swan, a group filled with skilled elves, dwarves, and other creatures that work together to improve the world secretly, are ignoring Sophie and her calls for aid. Instead of waiting for the Black Swan to come to her Sophie and her friend look out to s...

Lola and the Boy Next Door

            “Wow!” I said to myself after reading this book, “that was terrible”. This book was Lola and the Boy Next Door , and it took a real effort to finish the book. More than 90% of this book was about a forbidden teenage romance, and I hate romance novels.             The book starts off fast when Lola’s first crush, Cricket, moves back to San Francisco. He moved away to support his twin’s, Calliope, figure skating career. Calliope is an incredible figure skater, even making the US Olympic team later. Anyways, when Cricket moves back to town, Lola is conflicted by her feelings for him. On the one hand, she hates him because when she confessed her crush for him when she was younger, he rejected her. However, Lola is still in love with him even after he rejected her. Life becomes even more complicated because Lola’s boyfriend, Max, is not happy with Lola hanging out with Cricket. Max is Lola...

Warcross

              Marie Lu is an amazing writer, and she demonstrates that in her novel, Warcross . Warcross is about a poor 18-year-old, Emika Chen, living on the streets of New York. Much of her income comes from hunting down players in the Neuro Link. The Neuro Link is a way to play Warcross by creating a virtual reality. Warcross is a mix between Overwatch and League of Legends. Anyways, she is essentially a virtual bounty hunter with an incredible ability to hack through and understand the code of Warcross. However, desperate for money, she exploits into a Warcross match to try and steal a valuable powerup, a buff, that can be sold money; however, her coding backfires and she spawns into the game. Because of the attention that this brought Emika, the founder of the Neuro Link, Hideo Tanaka, decides to hire Emika because of her ability to hack. Hideo decides to have Emika go undercover and find information on Zero, a noto...