Skip to main content

The Hate U Give - Review by Swapnil




Regardless of me doing a review for the last 3 books of the Keeper of the Lost Cities, I am doing another review today. I’m doing it in a book called The Hate U Give. This isn’t for any reason. I just knew that it was a famous book and wanted to read it. The Hate U Give deserves every bit of fame it has. Angie Thomas, the writer, writes this book in a way that explains Starr Carter, the main character of the book in an amazing way. Starr Carter, a sixteen-year-old black girl goes to a party in her neighborhood which is called Garden Heights. Ever since attending Williamson Prep which she has gone to for a very long time she feels uncomfortable. This is because Williamson Prep has a majority white population and she can’t relate to anyone. As I said the book starts with a party scene and introduces Starr and also Khalil Harris who is Starr’s best friend. During the party gunshots from a fight suddenly appears. Khalil takes Starr home but suddenly a white cop pulls them over. The cop just suddenly tells Khalil to step out of the car and not move. The cop then just shoots Kahlil and the first scene ends there. The book continues with many more events and the struggles of Starr.
This type of book isn’t something I usually would read because I’m not interested in this genre. However, this book was amazing and opened up a lot of thoughts. It gave me a new perspective on the world even though I can’t relate much to the book. Even if you usually don’t prefer this type of genre, I strongly recommend this book. I think right now this book can open up a lot of eyes and teach many things that we should know. In conclusion, I strongly recommend that you check out this book because Angie Thomas’s way of writing this and delivery on this book is superb. Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. Good review! I actually read and wrote about The Hate U Give last year for the banned book essay. I agree with all the points you brought up; the book is well-written and eye-opening. The themes in the book are very real and still exist today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I read half of this book back in seventh grade, but I never picked it back up. However, I have seen the movie and can only imagine that the book can only be better. I think it has a ton of themes that are super important to acknowledge today. I love how you said you're not typically interested in this genre, but this book was so good that you would recommend it to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Swapnil!
    I like how you give a brief overview of the plot without giving away any spoilers. I like how you talk about both the story and what you got out of it as well. I have seen the movie, but never read the book. I am definitely going to try and get my hands on it soon.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review! This sounds like a really interesting book to read, it seems like it deals with a lot of powerful themes, many of which are heavily impactful in today's society. Angie Thomas also sounds like a great author, I might check out a few of her other books. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really good review, Swap! I've never read this book, but I actually watched the movie and really liked it, so I would love to read this book. You described the background story of the book really well, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard of The Hate U Give many times before, and it seems like an interesting book. You did a great job of giving a simple but informative summarization of the plot. Gaining a better understanding of racial injustice is important, and reading this book seems like a great way to do so. Similarly to you, this is not the genre of book I usually read, but I would still be interested in giving it a try. Great review Swapnil!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As someone who has read the book before I fully agree with what you said! It's definitely a book that can teach people a lot while still being entertaining and easy to read. Angie Thomas is a great writer and if you're looking for other books to read that were also written by her, I really recommend you check out On The Come Up. Overall really great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've watched the movie for "The Hate You Give" but never the book. I think you did a good job of encapsulating the main message of the novel in concise wording! I definitely agree with your message that although you can't relate to the characters, you get perspective and sympathize with them; that's definitely something super important right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find it interesting how you focus on the introduction scene where Khalil seems to get racially profiled from the way you describe the scene and then shot. This sample of the book is a good way to get people who haven't read the book (like me) interested. Good review Swapnil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog post Swapnil! I read this book a few months ago and I really liked it. It brings up a good topic and I think it is very important for readers to understand racial injustice in society. I liked reading about what you thought about the book. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lola and the Boy Next Door

            “Wow!” I said to myself after reading this book, “that was terrible”. This book was Lola and the Boy Next Door , and it took a real effort to finish the book. More than 90% of this book was about a forbidden teenage romance, and I hate romance novels.             The book starts off fast when Lola’s first crush, Cricket, moves back to San Francisco. He moved away to support his twin’s, Calliope, figure skating career. Calliope is an incredible figure skater, even making the US Olympic team later. Anyways, when Cricket moves back to town, Lola is conflicted by her feelings for him. On the one hand, she hates him because when she confessed her crush for him when she was younger, he rejected her. However, Lola is still in love with him even after he rejected her. Life becomes even more complicated because Lola’s boyfriend, Max, is not happy with Lola hanging out with Cricket. Max is Lola...

Warcross

              Marie Lu is an amazing writer, and she demonstrates that in her novel, Warcross . Warcross is about a poor 18-year-old, Emika Chen, living on the streets of New York. Much of her income comes from hunting down players in the Neuro Link. The Neuro Link is a way to play Warcross by creating a virtual reality. Warcross is a mix between Overwatch and League of Legends. Anyways, she is essentially a virtual bounty hunter with an incredible ability to hack through and understand the code of Warcross. However, desperate for money, she exploits into a Warcross match to try and steal a valuable powerup, a buff, that can be sold money; however, her coding backfires and she spawns into the game. Because of the attention that this brought Emika, the founder of the Neuro Link, Hideo Tanaka, decides to hire Emika because of her ability to hack. Hideo decides to have Emika go undercover and find information on Zero, a noto...

Neverseen Review

Neverseen is the third book in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series written by the author Shannon Messenger. In this book, we see Sophie Foster, the main character of this series as well as the narrator, face many perils and journeys and see her overcome a lot of dangerous missions. To recap, Sophie is an elf and lives in the world where all elves live, the Lost Cities. In this book, Sophie finds some very appalling secrets that could lead to her and her friends being in danger. With these secrets, she also faces perilous enemies that she still needs to find out more about.  As the third book begins, we see Sophie getting stronger and stronger and her also getting a firm grasp over her powers. She also is getting annoyed the Black Swan, a group filled with skilled elves, dwarves, and other creatures that work together to improve the world secretly, are ignoring Sophie and her calls for aid. Instead of waiting for the Black Swan to come to her Sophie and her friend look out to s...