Skip to main content

"A pro-choice, pro-life compromise" (Unwind, by Neal Shusterman)

 

        
Newer Cover ^
riginal Hardcover ^

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

(Read in movie trailer-y voice)

Unwind is a 2007 dystopian novel, written by Neal Shusterman, and serves as the 1st book apart of a 3 other books. Every book having the pre-fix "Un--"

Unwholly, Unstrung, and Unbound.

The plot is as follows:

Prior to the actual story, the pro-choice and pro-life conflict erupted into a 2nd Civil War. In order to de-escalate and end the war, The Bill of Life was passed, and a bunch of rules are ultimately introduced. Abortion becomes banned, abandonment of newborn babies on a doorstep (called "storking")is now an accepted practice, and teenagers 13-18 can be unwound 

In short, being unwound is basically...99% of your body parts and organs are removed, and transplanted into people who need them; not exactly killing the donor, but still somewhat keeping them alive, in a way

Set in Akron, Ohio, Connor Lassiter, Risa Ward, and Lev Calder all have different backgrounds, yet soon are joined by fate to intertwine their stories. 

Connor is a 16 year old juvenile delinquent, who finds out that his parents are unwinding him soon, and then going on vacation because of his delinquency. So, he runs away, all the way to an overpass and freeway while also being pursued by the police at the same time.

Risa is a 15 year  smart, and gifted orphan who was "storked" as a baby. She  finds out that herself, along with other orphans, are being unwound. She practically accepts her fate, but her bus swerves and gets caught in a massive pile up

Lev is 13, and apart of a religious family. On the same day of his bar mitzvah, he's taken to be unwound in a nice car, wearing all white clothing to represent his religious practice. Unexpectedly, he is taken from the car and held hostage mysteriously.

Connor the one who caused the pile-up on the freeway while running from police. He was the one to take Lev as a hostage, who he recognizes as a "tithe." A teenager to be taken to be unwound as a part of a religious sacrifice. Risa's bus is caught in the pile-up, and she escapes the crashed bus safely, joining Connor and Lev.

The 3 reluctantly work together, preventing their fate from having their body parts split from person to person that they themselves didn't consent to donating. New people to meet, new places to go, secrets to hide, and more await in Unwind

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, time to cut the trailer voice. Unwind for me was a wonderful read. The concepts of "unwinding" seemed both dystopian...yet also not too far outside the realm of possibility. It's honestly quite thought-provoking. Pro-choice and pro-life are still opposing viewpoints to this day, and just thinking that the events of Unwind could become a reality is really a somewhat harrowing, but wonderful idea.

The plot of Unwind in just the first book was pretty interesting, along with the many places visited, the different people met, all of the perplexing concepts introduced, and some of the twists and turns you wouldn't EVER expect. This dystopian novel feels more...realistic, and seems as if it could actually happen at some point in the unsure future. Just the way that the beginning of the book slowly introduced us to all the characters, but then brought them all together into one event had me hooked.

 I would highly recommend Unwind to readers who have enjoyed other dystopian novels like Hunger Games, Legend, Maze Runner, and Divergent.



Comments

  1. I read this book, actually. While the writing wasn't bad, it honestly wasn't the cup of tea for me. I wasn't a fan of the plot, although the premise was certainly exciting. However, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I love dystopian books (I've read and enjoyed all the books you mentioned at the bottom), and the premise of this book sounds really interesting. I might just pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dystopian books, while sometimes cliche, make for a good read. I really liked the way you explained how the main characters met without giving too much detail as to spoil the book. I really liked Divergent and the Hunger games, so maybe I'll have to check this one out too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you formatted this!! I've personally read Unwind before when I was in my "dystopian novel phase" in middle school. I wasn't a huge fan of the book, I also didn't really like the ending. However, I thought the concept was super interesting and I'm glad to hear you liked it! Scythe is another great dystopian novel by Neil Shusterman and I think you'll enjoy it if you enjoyed this. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neverseen Review

Neverseen is the third book in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series written by the author Shannon Messenger. In this book, we see Sophie Foster, the main character of this series as well as the narrator, face many perils and journeys and see her overcome a lot of dangerous missions. To recap, Sophie is an elf and lives in the world where all elves live, the Lost Cities. In this book, Sophie finds some very appalling secrets that could lead to her and her friends being in danger. With these secrets, she also faces perilous enemies that she still needs to find out more about.  As the third book begins, we see Sophie getting stronger and stronger and her also getting a firm grasp over her powers. She also is getting annoyed the Black Swan, a group filled with skilled elves, dwarves, and other creatures that work together to improve the world secretly, are ignoring Sophie and her calls for aid. Instead of waiting for the Black Swan to come to her Sophie and her friend look out to s...

Lola and the Boy Next Door

            “Wow!” I said to myself after reading this book, “that was terrible”. This book was Lola and the Boy Next Door , and it took a real effort to finish the book. More than 90% of this book was about a forbidden teenage romance, and I hate romance novels.             The book starts off fast when Lola’s first crush, Cricket, moves back to San Francisco. He moved away to support his twin’s, Calliope, figure skating career. Calliope is an incredible figure skater, even making the US Olympic team later. Anyways, when Cricket moves back to town, Lola is conflicted by her feelings for him. On the one hand, she hates him because when she confessed her crush for him when she was younger, he rejected her. However, Lola is still in love with him even after he rejected her. Life becomes even more complicated because Lola’s boyfriend, Max, is not happy with Lola hanging out with Cricket. Max is Lola...

Warcross

              Marie Lu is an amazing writer, and she demonstrates that in her novel, Warcross . Warcross is about a poor 18-year-old, Emika Chen, living on the streets of New York. Much of her income comes from hunting down players in the Neuro Link. The Neuro Link is a way to play Warcross by creating a virtual reality. Warcross is a mix between Overwatch and League of Legends. Anyways, she is essentially a virtual bounty hunter with an incredible ability to hack through and understand the code of Warcross. However, desperate for money, she exploits into a Warcross match to try and steal a valuable powerup, a buff, that can be sold money; however, her coding backfires and she spawns into the game. Because of the attention that this brought Emika, the founder of the Neuro Link, Hideo Tanaka, decides to hire Emika because of her ability to hack. Hideo decides to have Emika go undercover and find information on Zero, a noto...