Skip to main content

Ghost by Jason Reynolds (Ezra)

 


Ghost by Jason Reynolds Ghost. 
It’s a middle school classic. Well in my case, my middle school had been assigning this book for ages. However, just because it was assigned, does mean that it was a bad book. In fact, this was my favorite book in middle school. 
    Ghost is about a teenage boy, Castle “Ghost” Cranshaw, with an incredible talent in track. The book starts off by talking about Ghost’s troubled family life. One time his father, an alcoholic, tried to kill Ghost and his mother. They quickly escaped to Mr. Charles, a shopkeeper, and he called the police. Obviously, the father was convicted. However, this event traumatized Ghost and it partially contributed to his academic failure. Ghost was an angry kid at school. He was always getting into fights, and he did not get good grades. However, his life would change when he met Coach. 
    One day while eating in the park, Ghost saw a group of kids racing. The coach for this team was an Olympic athlete. Anyways, Ghost watched to the end of the practice, and he decided to challenge the fastest and cockiest runner, Lu. However, when they raced, Ghost and Lu were so fast that the coach can not determine the winner. As a result, Coach Brody decides to invite Ghost onto the team. 
    During practice, the next day, one of Ghost’s teammates makes fun of his shoes. They are just basketball shoes because Ghost’s mom did not have enough money to buy him track shoes. Anyways, later that night, Ghost cuts the tops off his shoes; however, he just gets made fun of more, especially at school. Because of this, Ghost runs away from school, and he decides to steal a pair of running shoes from a sporting goods shop. 
    One Friday after practice, Coach takes the team out for dinner. During dinner, many players on the team share their secrets, and Ghost learns that many of them grew up in a similar situation to him. However, things get rough when Coach finds out that Ghost stole the shoes. He has Ghost go back to the store and apologize, then Coach buys Ghost the shoes.
    The book ends when Ghost is on the starting line for his first race, and he realizes his hope for the future. 
       I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Reynolds had the reader hooked from the beginning. He did a great job of describing Ghost’s emotions. I felt like I strongly connected with Ghost and his situation. I think that much of this book was about learning to control your emotions and Reynolds did a great job of showing Ghost’s improvement on this topic. I also loved how Ghost followed the theme that if you work hard enough, you can get out of anything. Reynolds did a great job of showing this message through Ghost’s actions. In conclusion, I would highly recommend this book to anybody who likes a relaxing story.

Comments

  1. I wouldn't describe this book as relaxing, no offense. The academic failure, trauma, and poverty he has to deal with makes him scared about everything that disrupts his day. Ghost seems confused because it seems he can't trust anyone and trying to find himself. This is one of those coming of age books. I respect this book a lot because this problem exists in this world. Good review and choice of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember starting to read this book in middle school as well, but I just somehow couldn't get into. I think the primary reason was that the dialect in which the book was written in really threw me off; I wasn't used to it and found it really different from the rest of the books I read back then. Nevertheless, I enjoyed your description of this book, and I can respect your opinion. I might even try reading it again; maybe I'll have a change of heart. Great post, Ezra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read this book, but it sounds interesting! By your summary, it doesn't really sound like something I would enjoy, but I can tell that you really like this book. The way you describe it is very neat and your opinions/ideas are well presented; nice job Ezra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the details that you provided in your review! Ghost sounds quite interesting, and I hope that I find the time to read it in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lola and the Boy Next Door

            “Wow!” I said to myself after reading this book, “that was terrible”. This book was Lola and the Boy Next Door , and it took a real effort to finish the book. More than 90% of this book was about a forbidden teenage romance, and I hate romance novels.             The book starts off fast when Lola’s first crush, Cricket, moves back to San Francisco. He moved away to support his twin’s, Calliope, figure skating career. Calliope is an incredible figure skater, even making the US Olympic team later. Anyways, when Cricket moves back to town, Lola is conflicted by her feelings for him. On the one hand, she hates him because when she confessed her crush for him when she was younger, he rejected her. However, Lola is still in love with him even after he rejected her. Life becomes even more complicated because Lola’s boyfriend, Max, is not happy with Lola hanging out with Cricket. Max is Lola...

Warcross

              Marie Lu is an amazing writer, and she demonstrates that in her novel, Warcross . Warcross is about a poor 18-year-old, Emika Chen, living on the streets of New York. Much of her income comes from hunting down players in the Neuro Link. The Neuro Link is a way to play Warcross by creating a virtual reality. Warcross is a mix between Overwatch and League of Legends. Anyways, she is essentially a virtual bounty hunter with an incredible ability to hack through and understand the code of Warcross. However, desperate for money, she exploits into a Warcross match to try and steal a valuable powerup, a buff, that can be sold money; however, her coding backfires and she spawns into the game. Because of the attention that this brought Emika, the founder of the Neuro Link, Hideo Tanaka, decides to hire Emika because of her ability to hack. Hideo decides to have Emika go undercover and find information on Zero, a noto...

Neverseen Review

Neverseen is the third book in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series written by the author Shannon Messenger. In this book, we see Sophie Foster, the main character of this series as well as the narrator, face many perils and journeys and see her overcome a lot of dangerous missions. To recap, Sophie is an elf and lives in the world where all elves live, the Lost Cities. In this book, Sophie finds some very appalling secrets that could lead to her and her friends being in danger. With these secrets, she also faces perilous enemies that she still needs to find out more about.  As the third book begins, we see Sophie getting stronger and stronger and her also getting a firm grasp over her powers. She also is getting annoyed the Black Swan, a group filled with skilled elves, dwarves, and other creatures that work together to improve the world secretly, are ignoring Sophie and her calls for aid. Instead of waiting for the Black Swan to come to her Sophie and her friend look out to s...